HUNTER COLLEGE, New York, NY
Masters of Fine Arts: Expected graduation 2019
THE COOPER UNION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF SCIENCE AND ART, New York, NY
Bachelor of Fine Arts: May 2009
Honors: Four-year full tuition scholarship
CALIFORNIA COLLEGE OF ART, Oakland, CA
Mobility Student: Spring 2008
2017 Darkness Show, ValeRina Gallerina + Greg, Ridgewood, NY
2017 Faculty Show, USDAN, Wheatley Heights, NY
2016 Finger Food, The Hand, Brooklyn, NY
2016 Wish You Were Here, Interstate Projects, Brooklyn, NY
2016 Now, Therefore, ValeRina Gallerina + Greg, Ridgewood, NY
2016 Rover 2016, Starr Space Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
2015 Solstice Show, ValeRina Gallerina + Greg, Ridgewood, NY
2015 Time and a Half, ValeRina Gallerina + Greg, Ridgewood, NY
2015 Connections, ALL GOLD, Long Island City, NY
2015 Magic Scents, ValeRina Gallerina + Greg, Ridgewood, NY
2015 Solstice Show, TH Studio, Navy Yard, NY
2015 I Will Never Smile Again, ValeRina Gallerina, Ridgewood, NY
2015 Meownifesto, ValeRina Gallerina, Ridgewood, NY
2014 Show + Tell, ValeRina Gallerina, Ridgewood, NY
2014 The Last Brucennial, 837 Washington St., New York, NY
2013 Bushwick Open Studios, The Freedom Garden, Brooklyn, NY
2012 GO Brooklyn, The Freedom Garden, Brooklyn, NY
2012 Bushwick Open Studios, The Freedom Garden, Brooklyn, NY
2012 New Goo, The Freedom Garden, Brooklyn, NY
2012 Necklace Sandwich/ The Freedom Garden, The Freedom Garden, Brooklyn, NY
2011 Deck the Walls, Sardine, Brooklyn, NY
2011 Brooklyn Beefsteak, The Bellhouse, Brooklyn, NY
2010 The Brucennial: Miseducation, 350 West Broadway, New York, NY
2009 Black Thursday Halloween City!!! Black Friday Fireworks Stand, Troutman Studios, Ridgewood, NY
2009 End of the Year Show, The Cooper Union, New York, NY
2009 Human Hazard, Houghton Gallery, with Eliza Winston, New York, NY
2008 Dream Job, Frankenart Mart, with Kirby McKenzie, San Francisco, CA
2008 End of the Year Show, The Cooper Union, New York, NY
2008 Fiber and Dye, University of California Botanical Garden, Berkeley, CA
2007 Stranger Drawing Show, Glassell School of Art, Houston, TX
2007 End of the Year Show, The Cooper Union, New York, NY
2007 90 Ludlow Show Organised By Patterson Beckwith, 90 Ludlow, New York, NY
2006 End of the Year Show, The Cooper Union, New York, NY
2006 Two Dimensional Design, Lubalin Center, New York, NY
2006 Color, The Cooper Union, New York, NY
2005 Placement and Spectacle, Lawndale Art Center, Houston, TX
2005 Lactose Intolerant, High School for the Performing and Visual Arts Art Gallery, with Sean Nichols, Houston, TX
2005 Imprint (#3), Gremillion and Co. Fine Art, Houston, TX
2004 Photography and Video, (HSPVA) Art Gallery, Houston, TX
2004 Third Coast Show, (HSPVA) Art Gallery, Houston, TX
2004 Best of Portfolio Review, (HSPVA) Art Gallery, Houston.
2004 CCA Summer Photography, North South Gallery, Oakland, CA
2004 Imprint (#2), Gremillion and Co. Fine Art, Houston, TX
2004 Sculpture Show, (HSPVA) Art Gallery, Houston, TX
2003 Imprint, The Art Guy's Studio, Houston, TX
2002 Photography and Video, (HSPVA) Art Gallery, Houston, TX
2002 Day of the Dead, (HSPVA) Art Gallery, Houston, TX
2002 Best of Portfolio Review, (HSPVA) Art Gallery, Houston, TX
HIGHLY AUTHORIZED, Ellenville, NY. Artist in Residence, December 2017. Residency fees waived. Housing provided.
AWARDS AND GRANTS
Textures in Textiles, SU-CASA Artist in Residence, The New York City Council, the New York City Department for the Aging, the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, and Queens Council on the Arts. $4,500 plus $1,000 supply stipend. 2016.
Fang, B. (2016, May 24). Maspeth Seniors Unveil Collaborative Art Banner. Queens Ledger.
Fang, B. (2016, Feb 23). Local Artist Wins Grant to Teach Seniors about Textiles. Queens Ledger.
Valerie Skakun, MUTATIONS, Ridgewood, NY, August 2015.
Valerie Skakun, interview by Patrick James Lynch, MyNY: Episode 12, podcast audio, October 31, 2011.
Ohad Meromi, Pam Lins, Patterson Beckwith, eds. This is Not an Exit: Sculpture for the Camera, (New York, 2007), 8-9.
Patterson Beckwith, ed. 90 Ludlow Show Organized By Patterson Beckwith, (New York, April 28, 2007) 6-7.
HUNTER COLLEGE, New York, NY
Board Member at Large, Graduate Student Association, January 2017—August 2017.
- Represent the MFA students on the Graduate Student Board at Hunter College.
- Communicate with the MFA students to advocate for their wants and needs to the administration of Hunter College.
- Vote on delegating budgets for outlined project proposals.
USDAN SUMMER CAMP FOR THE ARTS, Wheatley Heights, NY
Lead Teacher in Sculpture, May 2017—Present
STUDIO IN A SCHOOL, New York, NY
Teaching Artist, September 2016—Present
- Attend artist training sessions at Manhattan headquarters covering a variety of materials, methods, and age groups.
- Communicate extensively with the program coordinators for various programs.
- Shadow teaching artists in multiple inner city public schools.
- Attend planning meetings with school principal and teachers to tailor units and materials loosely based upon classroom curriculum.
- Design detailed lesson plans to foster the creative and intellectual development of New York City youth.
- Order supplies within outlined project budget.
- Teach art to inner city public school students.
BEAM CENTER, Brooklyn, NY
Instructor, January 2017—Present
- Attend meetings with school magnet coordinators and/or teachers to collaborate on experimental problem solving units based upon classroom curriculum.
- Design detailed lesson plans that help young people build their character and self-esteem, develop skills that are useful in today’s workplace, and prepare for a life of continual learning and meaningful action.
- Build prototypes and prepare materials for each lesson within the unit.
- Order supplies within project budget.
- Teach unit to inner city pubic school students.
SUNNYSIDE STRING SHOOL, Sunnyside, NY
Head Art Teacher, January 2015—August 2016
- Teach after-school art class to children ages 3—9.
- Design detailed lesson plans for exploring the various possibilities and experimenting with different materials and methods in the practice of art making. Projects include collage, dioramas, drawing, dyeing, illustrated books, painting, papier-mâché, printmaking, resists, and sculpture. Foster the students speaking aloud about their works to the class when the projects are completed.
- Communicate to the director the lesson plans and what supplies to order.
- Delegate tasks to the assistant teacher.
- Relay to the director and other teachers when there is a concern with a student.
- Discuss and resolve complications pertaining to structure, schedule, and rates.
FRIENDS OF VAN CORDLANDT PARK: ART IN THE PARK, Bronx, NY
Head Art Teacher, May 2015—October 2015
- Organize an art program funded by The Bronx Council on the Arts.
- Teach a diversity of art forms integrating materials found in Van Cortlandt Park to children 6--12.
- Plan detailed lesson plans for introducing a range of techniques while utilizing immediate surroundings in the practice of art making. Projects include watercolors, printmaking, tie-dyeing, sculpture, collage, cyanotypes, and rubbings.
- Delegate tasks to the assistant teacher.
3RD WARD, Brooklyn, NY
Textiles Instructor, August 2012—2013
- Teach sewing and dyeing classes to adults.
BEAM CENTER, Brooklyn, NY. Visiting Artist and Instructor, Summer Day Program, August 2016.
THE NEW SCHOOL, New York, NY. Guest Instructor, Senior Seminar, May 2016.
APRIL MAY JUNE, Brooklyn, NY
Owner, Designer, May 2010--Present
- Operate and manage a small hand-dyed fashion and jewelry company based in New York. Train and oversee my assistants with completing tasks in which require extreme attention to detail and have pressing deadlines. April May June’s textile products are designed and fabricated in my Brooklyn studio. Products include hand dyed clothing and accessories, printed scarves, hand dyed beach towels, and jewelry. We accept custom dye orders from clients and collaborate with multiple New York artists. http://www.aprilmayjuneskakun.com
FUTURE DEVELOPMENT, Brooklyn, NY
Director, Curator, July 2016--Present
- Future Development is a space curated by Valerie Skakun. The space is her former studio in Greenpoint, which is in the basement of an industrial building that was recently sold to developers. Future Development will continue to subsist as an experimental space for emerging artists to exhibit their work until we are kicked out of the building.
VALERINA GALLERINA + GREG, Ridgewood, NY
Co-Founder, Co-Curator, July 2014--Present
- Co-run an art gallery in the basement of our apartment in Queens. Co-Founded with Rina Goldfield and the soon-after partnership with Greg Skiano, all artworks submitted are accepted and exhibited as part of an egalitarian philosophy.
- Send out open calls and create a space for artists to show works to an accepting audience. Each show has multiple participating artists. Over 60 artists from various cities and countries have participated since our first show.
- Establish and distribute Emerging Artist’s Fund, a monetary award given to a randomly chosen artist participating in each show. Funds come from donations collected during openings.
BARNABY FURNAS STUDIO, New York, NY
Artist’s Assistant, May 2015--Present
- Assist in the preparation and production of artworks and upkeep of the studio.
- Aid in developing and finalizing multiple large paintings for September solo show, First Morning, at Marianne Boesky Gallery.
- Complete and communicate with Barnaby on a daily basis regarding the tasks executed on a very tight scheduled check-list.
- Mask off specific areas of paintings with tape and very precisely cut detailed shapes off the tape with an X-Acto blade.
- Mix pigments and binders to exact ratios requested. Test on canvas to show dried results.
- Apply gesso in a very stylized and textured manner to the raw stretched canvas.
- Keep inventory of supplies, and re-order when necessary.
EXOVAULT, Brooklyn, NY
Assembler, Metal Worker, Office and Production Assistant, July 2009--June 2014
- Operate CNC (Computerized Numerical Control) milling machine to create brass and aluminum cases.
- Sand, patina, and polish metal. Sand stain and seal various woods and composites to fit into grooves on the posterior of the case.
- Assemble and inspect iphone cases.
- Prepare orders for shipping (print orders, shipping labels, packing slips, business cards, and product boxes with company logo).
- Keep inventory of orders placed, orders shipped, and number of cases in stock.
- Train new employees in production and safety measures.
THE FREEDOM GARDEN, Brooklyn, NY
Resident Artist, October 2011--September 2013
- Use backyard as dyeing studio to create tapestries and various art works installed in this music and art venue.
- Screen-print t-shirts with pictures and logos sold at shows and openings.
- Participate in meetings concerning advertising for shows and openings. Apply for open studio shows in Brooklyn.
PIOTR UKLANSKI STUDIO, Brooklyn, NY
Textile Production Assistant, July 2010--February 2011
- Work in Paris with Christian Scheidemann on painting damaged in shipping.
- Design and make tie-dye paintings for Uklanski's show Discharge! at Gagosian Gallery.
- Create color board using three qualities of cotton and testing the color results of various dyes and bleaches.
- Train assistants in dye production, including safety and technical aspects.
- Keep inventory of tie-dyes created, each with a number, picture, and description of how it was made.
- Keep inventory of pigments and chemicals. Place new orders through Dharma Trading Co.
BROOKE ALEXANDER. New York, NY
Art Handler, October 2009, November 2010, Spring 2012
- Install and de-install Spring 2012 show.
- Check galleries into their booths at the Editions Fair 2010. Call for freight elevator to transport art.
- Hang Sol LeWitt show of wall paintings, prints, and sculptures.
- Level, hang, and secure prints in a 9-column, 5-row grid, with 1.5" spacing using Plexiglas and threaded L-hooks.
ANNA CONWAY STUDIO, Brooklyn, NY
Artist’s Assistant, September 2008--May 2009
- Assist with under painting of large-scale panel oil painting of the Astrodome interior.
- Collect and sort relevant fabrics for Ms. Conway’s leash company, Found My Animal, for the collars.
- Organize press packets with mission statement, product sample, press release and CD.
JACKIE BROOKNER STUDIO, New York, NY
Artist’s Assistant, January 2007--December 2007
- Build scale models for Ms. Brookner’s sculpture, Urban Rain.
- Research Norway’s waterways, plant life, and bird populations in preparation for park commission.
- Maintain BioSculptures (transplant moss, ferns, algae, feed fish in water).
- Fabricate boxes for shipping and storage of sculptures.
THE COOPER UNION, New York, NY
Sculpture Teacher for the Saturday Program, Fall 2009--Spring 2010
- Prepare detailed lesson plans, including method/material time-span, artists to cover, and exhibitions to attend.
- Demonstrate techniques for building from cardboard, papier-mâché, plaster, clay, wire, and plastic.
- Facilitate critique of finished works.
- Supervise field trips to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Create art history packets and accompanying slide shows. Screen movies relating to subject discussed in class.